Wednesday, April 13, 2022

MAKARDÌA — "I DON'T WAVE SOVEREIGN STATES"

 


In collaboration with Filomena D’Andrea as MAKARDÌA
A song of resistance.
Words: Filomena D’Andrea
Voice: Angela Paolantonio
Sound: Renato Celano
Art: Giovanni Spiniello

***

I DON'T WAVE SOVEREIGN STATES 


I don't wave sovereign states

Because their flags stink of blood

Because history is full of errors

And not divided into bad and good.


I don't raise border stakes

They’ve colored them to fool the children

Some try to cross the sea again
Hoping to avoid a military line


I want to raise my fist with a thousand others
I want to take to the streets like a thousand and one stars
Because no man is born to be killed
Because bread is made to be broken


I want to raise the rainbow flag
The drawings of the children, an olive branch

Because they taught me that we are equal and free

We live everywhere and there is no king or queen


That we are not divided into black and white

In Christians, Muslims or Jews
That my children are of the world
And the children of the world are mine too

That war is a horror

Yesterday today and tomorrow


As for the powerful

Who steal bread

Take off your military shirt

And hat from your head

We are the deserters

We are thirsty for spring

We are the deserters

Of this long evening


by FILOMENA D'ANDREA